Law Office of Jeffrey Silence, PLLC
Jeff Silence has more than ten years of experience in the following areas:
EMPLOYMENT LAW - representing both employers and employees
DEFAMATION LAW - helping people and businesses protect their reputation
EDUCATION LAW - helping university students and professors challenge allegations of misconduct and poor performance and pursuing and defending Title IX sex harassment claims.
Since becoming an attorney in 2012, Jeff has had many notable trial victories, some of which have resulted in significant media coverage. Jeff is a frequent speaker at attorney events and has published over 70 articles on a broad range of legal topics. Jeff has been named a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers, which is an honor given to only 2.5% of attorneys.
Jeff represents both employees and employers, which gives him a unique insight into how to pursue and defend a broad range of employment claims. He enjoys helping the “little guy” pursue their claims and vindicate their rights. He also likes helping his employer clients come up with creative solutions. Jeff prides himself on using technology and creativity to efficiently solve problems.
When Jeff is not practicing law, he enjoys running, listening to books and podcasts, and spending time with his wife and daughter.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
* Phoenix Magazine, Top Lawyer, Labor & Employment (2022)
* Southwest Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2019 to present)
* AVVO Rated 10.0 (2017 to present)
* Best Lawyers in America, Ones to Watch (2021 to present)
* Martindale Hubbell, Client Champion (2019 to present)
* Arizona Employment Lawyer’s Association – President
* Arizona State Bar Executive Council for Labor & Employment Section - Board Member
Jeff has had many notable victories.
* Successfully defended his Fortune 500 employer client in an 6-day jury trial. The employee claimed she was terminated for blowing the whistle and sought over $5 million in damages. She was awarded nothing.
* Prevailed in a week-long federal court trial in which Jeff’s client was seeking payment of her overtime wages. The court awarded Jeff’s client every penny she sought in overtime wages and ordered the defendant to pay over $300,000 in attorney fees.
* Prevailed in a multi-day arbitration hearing against the City of Phoenix in a high-profile case that made the front page of the Arizona Republic. The City alleged that Jeff’s client committed fraud and breached his contract. The arbitrator ruled in favor of Jeff’s client and awarded his client all of his attorney fees.
* Represented a buyer of a business in a multi-day arbitration hearing in which Jeff’s client alleged that the seller committed fraud when selling his business. Jeff’s client settled on favorable terms before the final day of the hearing.
* Successfully defended a Fortune 500 employer in a multi-day arbitration hearing in which the employee asserted claims for breach of contract, failure to pay wages, and sex discrimination. The employee did not prevail on any claims and was awarded nothing.
* Represented an employee in a high-profile whistleblower trial against the State of Arizona. The claim was reported in the Arizona Republic and involved top-level government officials.
* Represented an employee in commercial court to dispute the enforceability of a non-compete, non-solicit, and confidentiality agreement.
*Prevailed in a criminal trial while in law school by convincing the court that the criminal statute at issue was unconstitutional.
2022 Arizona State Bar CLE – New Lawyer Workshop
2022 Arizona State Bar Fall Seminar – Everything You Need to Know About Restrictive Covenants
2022 Annual Convention for Arizona Employment Lawyer’s Association – When is a Commission “Earned,” and What Should You Do When an Employee is Fired Shortly Before Receiving Their Commission?
2022 Arizona Association for Justice – Arizona Paid Sick Time
2021 Annual Convention for Arizona Employment Lawyer’s Association – Constructive Discharge Claims
2018 Arizona State Bar Convention – Arizona’s Paid Sick Time Law
2017 Annual Convention for the Arizona Employment Lawyer’s Association – Best Practices and Ethical Issues When Representing Employees Who Are Still Employed
2016 Annual Convention for the Arizona Employment Lawyer’s Association – Discovery and Use of Social Media in Litigation
2016 Arizona State Bar Employment Lawyer’s Annual Sedona Conference – How to Oppose Employment Arbitration Agreements
2015 Annual Convention for the Arizona Employment Lawyer’s Association – Using Technology to Improve the Practice of Law: Part 2
2014 Annual Convention for the Arizona Employment Lawyer’s Association – Using Technology to Improve the Practice of Law
* Arizona Court of Appeals, Law Clerk for Judge Patrick Irvine (2011 to 2012)
* Jaburg Wilk, Partner (2012 to 2022)
Jeff was admitted to practice law in Arizona in 2012 in both state and federal court.
Areas of Law and Practice
|Areas of Law||Areas of Practice|
|Commercial Law||Commercial Arbitration, Commercial Bad Faith, Commercial Constitutional Law, Commercial Crimes, Commercial Fraud, Commercial Liability, Commercial Litigation, Commercial Mediation, Commercial Torts, Commercial Transactions, Commercial Transfers, Commercial Trusts, Complex Commercial Litigation, International Commercial Arbitration, International Commercial Law, International Sale of Goods, Negotiable Instruments, Retail Liability, Sale of Goods, Secured Transactions, Uniform Commercial Code, Warehousing|
|Education Law||Academic Employment, Charter School Law, College and University Law, Educational Testing, Private Education Law, Public School Law, School Board Defense, School Board Liability, School District Liability, School Equal Protection, School Law, School Tenure, Student Discipline, Teachers Credentials, Title IX Discrimination|
|Labor and Employment||Affirmative Action, Age Discrimination in Employment, Americans with Disabilities Act, Confidentiality Agreements, Covenants Not To Compete, Employee Discipline, Employee Drug Testing, Employee Leasing, Employee Privacy, Employee Rights, Employer Intentional Torts, Employer Liability, Employer Rights, Employment Arbitration, Employment at Will, Employment Breach of Contract, Employment Civil Rights, Employment Claims, Employment Contracts, Employment Defense, Employment Disability Discrimination, Employment Discrimination, Employment Law, Employment Litigation, Employment Mediation, Employment Practices Liability Insurance, Employment Rights, Employment Termination, Equal Employment Opportunity Law, Executive Employment Law, Executive Severance Contracts, Fair Employment Practices, Fair Labor Standards, Family and Medical Leave Act, Federal Employment Law, Harassment, Human Resources Law, Labor Law, Management Employment Law, Management Labor Law, Minimum Wage Law, National Labor Relations Act, National Origin Discrimination, Negligent Hiring, Noncompete Litigation, Noncompetition and Non-Solicitation, Agreements, Outsourcing, Personnel Policies, Personnel Training, Pregnancy Discrimination, Prevailing Wage Litigation, Public Sector Employment Law, Reductions in Force, Restrictive Covenants, Retaliatory Discharge, Sexual Harassment, Title VII Discrimination, Unfair Labor Practices, Uniformed Services Employment, and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA), Wage and Hour Class Actions, Wage and Hour Law, WARN Act, Whistleblower Litigation, Workplace Violence, Wrongful Termination, Wrongful Termination Defense|
|Libel, Slander and Defamation||Defamation, Libel and Slander, Libel Defense, Media Libel|
|Litigation||Civil Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Complex and Multi-District Litigation, Complex Litigation, Defense Litigation, E-Discovery, Federal Civil Litigation, Federal Litigation, International Litigation, Long-Arm Litigation, Personal Injury Litigation, Trial Practice, U.S. Supreme Court Litigation|
|Trade Secrets||Theft of Trade Secrets, Trade Secret Misappropriation|
Owner | Law Office of Jeffrey Silence, PLLC
JD | Arizona State University - Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law
2009 - 2011
Attorney Rating and Feedback
Publications and Presentations
TYPICAL HOURLY RATE: --
TYPICAL FIXED FEE: --
TYPICAL CONTINGENCY FEE: --
Phoenix, Arizona, Maricopa County
Get a Lawyer Now
Tired of searching?
Anonymously post your legal needs quickly and for free, and lawyers interested in helping you will contact you via email!