Costa Mesa Car Accidents: An Analysis of Causes and How to Seek Just Compensation
Car accidents take place every day in Costa Mesa for a variety of reasons. Anytime a car accident occurs due to a driver’s negligent actions, they become financially responsible for the damages they cause others. Every California driver needs to understand what their responsibilities are behind the wheel in order to lower their odds of causing an accident. it is also essential for drivers to understand the most common causes of car accidents and what compensation they may be entitled to if they are injured.
If you were injured in a car accident, please contact a car accident lawyer in Costa Mesa right away.
Common Causes of Costa Mesa Car AccidentsThere are numerous federal and state agencies that take annual car accident statistics and data and compile them into reports that highlight the greatest dangers faced by California drivers. For instance, the most common causes of car accidents in California year after year are:
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving is the leading cause of traffic accidents in California and across the United States every single year. There are many different types of distracted driving since it involves any action that takes a driver’s hands off the wheel, eyes off the road, or attention away from the task at hand.
- Reckless driving: Sadly, many drivers commit reckless driving, such as deliberate moving violations, while they are behind the wheel. Anytime a driver’s flagrant disregard of the law results in a car accident, they could face both criminal and civil repercussions for the harm they inflict on others.
- Driving while intoxicated: As with every other state, it is against the law for anyone to operate a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs in California. The penalties for doing so could include fines, incarceration, and the suspension or revocation of your driving license. Additionally, these penalties can be increased if the intoxicated driver injured or killed someone.
- Speeding: Exceeding the posted speed limit naturally raises your odds of causing a serious accident as well as the severity of any damages. Speeding can not only make you liable for the victim’s damages if an accident happens, but depending on how fast you were going, you could be charged with reckless driving as well.
How Do I Pursue Compensation For My Costa Mesa Car Accident?No matter what caused your Costa Mesa car accident, the first step toward your financial recovery process will be an insurance claim against the at-fault driver. Based on their coverage limits, this may or may not be enough to fully compensate you for your damages. If it is not, you will have to bring a claim against the at-fault driver themselves. In order for your insurance claim and personal injury claim to be successful, you will have to prove fault for the collision.
What Damages Are Included in a Costa Mesa Car Accident Settlement?The settlement you receive should be able to cover all of your accident-related damages.In a Costa Mesa car accident settlement, there are two main types of recoverable damages. They are:
Special DamagesAlso known as economic damages, these are monetary losses incurred by the victim due to the accident. Economic damages are quantifiable and easily calculated by adding up bills, invoices, and receipts. Special damages may include:
- Current and anticipated medical bills
- The cost of repairing or replacing damaged property
- Lost earnings
- Lost business opportunities
- Any other out-of-pocket expenses, such as transportation to and from doctor appointments
General DamagesGeneral damages, or non-economic damages, are non-monetary losses incurred by the victim. Since these damages are heavily subjective, it is much more challenging to assign them a monetary value. General damages often include financial compensation for:
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
- Decreased quality of life
- Loss of fellowship and guidance
- Disfigurement, scarring, and permanent disability
Can Punitive Damages Be Awarded?Unlike the damages previously listed, punitive damages are not intended to compensate the victim for a loss. Rather, they are meant to punish the offender and discourage others from behaving in the same or a similar manner. This form of financial compensation is rarely awarded in car accident cases. However, punitive damages could possibly be recovered if the defendant’s behavior is determined to be egregious, malicious, or deliberate.
Although it is certainly possible to handle a Costa Mesa car accident claim on your own, working with a qualified personal injury lawyer will greatly increase your chances of obtaining the maximum settlement amount. A qualified attorney can also calculate all of your damages and ensure that you are receiving a fair settlement offer from the insurance company.
Do You Need An Attorney?
If so, post a short summary of your legal needs to our site and let attorneys submit applications to fulfill those needs. No time wasted, no hassle, no confusion, no cost.