Legal Questions

Is it possible to obtain custody of my sister's minor child while she is away in another country for an extended period of time?

I have a sister who presently resides in Maryland. She came to have her baby in Chicago, and unfortunately the baby had complications. Because of the baby's complications, she has sent an application to immigration for an extension to stay on medical grounds. She now wants to travel to Nigeria to come back later in the year but she cannot travel with the child because of his medical condition. I want to have custody of the child when she is away to oversee his medical care. Can this be done?

Posted - on 09/06/2017 | Illinois

Answers (2)

Charles Dobra

6 Contributions

Yes, of course. Call me at 630-893-2494 to make an appointment.

Posted - on 09/07/2017

Gerald Nordgren

4 Contributions

Yes, you can get guardianship of the baby, as long as the child is in your possession. Sorry to hear about the baby's medical issues! Can the baby travel from Maryland to Illinois? Please feel free to call me if I can be of service! I have almost 38 years of experience with family law issues! Our office number is 312-558-9100, and my cell number is 773-419-5835. Sincerely, Gerald P. Nordgren Attorney at Law

Posted - on 09/07/2017